This all-day session at Axminster Heritage Centre will combine a mix of practical activities, presentations and discussions, and look at all aspects of caring for a collection at museums and galleries.
Delegates will look at the main causes of damage and deterioration for a range of objects and materials, and how to minimise the risk to objects. Appropriate methods and materials to use will be considered, as well as suppliers and possible sources of funding for collection care needs.
Who should attend?
This session is suitable for anyone, paid or volunteer, who works with a collection. No previous knowledge is necessary.
- learn the main risks to collections and how to minimise them
- undertake a condition assessment of an object
- consider how to improve display and storage conditions
- practice safe handling and packing of objects
- understand the main policies and plans relating to collection care and what to include in them
This is a free training session, delivered by South West Museums Development, funded by the UK Government through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.